- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 170
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Credit: Yes
Earn transferable credit by taking this course for credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Course SummaryBiology 101: Intro to Biology has been evaluated and recommended for 3 semester hours, which may be transferred to over 2,000 colleges and universities. The course can be completed at your own pace, and it offers you a convenient, inexpensive and simple way to jumpstart your degree program.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
The course objective is to explain and apply foundational principles of biology, including: ecology, evolution, genetics and cell division.
Your grade for this course will be calculated out of 300 points. The minimum score required to pass and earn real college credit for this course is 210 points, or an overall course grade of 70%. The table below shows the assignments you must complete and how they'll be incorporated into the overall grade.
|Proctored Final Exam||200|
Quizzes are meant to test your comprehension of each lesson as you progress through the course. Here's a breakdown of how you will be graded on quizzes and how they'll factor into your final score:
- You will have 3 attempts to take each quiz for a score.
- The highest score of your first 3 attempts will be recorded as your score for each quiz.
- When you've completed the course, the highest scores from your first 3 attempts at each quiz will be averaged together and weighed against the total possible points for quizzes. For instance, if your average quiz score is 85%, you'll receive 85 out of 100 possible points for quizzes.
- After your initial 3 attempts, you can take a quiz for practice as many times as you'd like.
- You will need to pass each quiz with a score of at least 80% to earn course progress for the lesson. However, it is not necessary to earn 80% within the first three quiz attempts.
Proctored Final Exam
The proctored final exam is a cumulative test designed to ensure that you've mastered the material in the course.
- You'll earn points equivalent to the percentage grade you receive on your proctored final. (So if you earn 90% on the final, that's 180 points toward your final grade.)
- If you're unsatisfied with your score on the exam, you'll be eligible to retake the exam after a 3-day waiting period.
- You can only retake the exam twice, so be sure to use your study guide and fully prepare yourself before you take the exam again.
Items Allowed on www.heiqigong.com Proctored Exam for Biology 101:
- A non-graphing, scientific calculator
- One sheet of blank scratch paper
- Pen or pencil
Items NOT Allowed on www.heiqigong.com Proctored Exam for Biology 101:
- Graphing calculators
- Office programs, web browsers, or any programs other than Software Secure (including www.heiqigong.com lessons)
- Textbooks (digital or physical)
- Mobile phones, headphones, speakers, TVs, radios
- Notebooks or notes
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the nucleic acids DNA and RNA
- Differentiate between the parts of cells
- Analyze genetics and the principles of heredity
- Describe and analyze metabolic biochemistry
- Classify organisms to demonstrate a fundamental understanding of taxonomy
- Analyze how the circulatory, respiratory, digestive, excretory, musculoskeletal, nervous and endocrine systems work
- Assess principles of ecology and community ecology
- Illustrate the theory and principles of evolution
- Relate important details about the history of life on Earth
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Biology 101 consists of short video lessons that are organized into topical chapters. Each video is approximately 5-10 minutes in length and comes with a quick quiz to help you measure your learning. The course is completely self-paced. Watch lessons on your schedule whenever and wherever you want.
At the end of each chapter, you can complete a chapter test to see if you're ready to move on or have some material to review. Once you've completed the entire course, take the practice test and use the study tools in the course to prepare for the proctored final exam. You may take the proctored final exam whenever you are ready.
How Credit Recommendations Work
This course has been evaluated and recommended by both ACE and NCCRS for 3 semester hours in the lower division baccalaureate degree category. To apply for transfer credit, follow these steps:
- If you already have a school in mind, check with the registrar to see if the school will grant credit for courses recommended by either ACE or NCCRS.
- Complete Biology 101 by watching video lessons and taking short quizzes.
- Take the Biology 101 final exam directly on the www.heiqigong.com site.
- Request a transcript to be sent to the accredited school of your choice!
- Check out this page for more information on www.heiqigong.com's credit-recommended courses.
|Basic Terms & Skills in Biological Sciences||Learn how to approach biology as a scientific discipline using the correct terminology and gain an understanding of how to read graphs, use the scientific method, and general experimental design.|
|Inorganic Chemistry Review for Biology||Review some basic concepts of inorganic chemistry in order to prepare for more in-depth study of biology. Learn about the atom; electrons; different types of chemical bonds; and the processes of osmosis, diffusion and saturation.|
|Introduction to Organic Molecules & Heterotrophs||Learn about functional groups and monomers/polymers. Cover the various functions and structures of carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins and discover different types of heterotrophs.|
|The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA||Gain an understanding of the structure and function of DNA and RNA, as well as differences between the two and how each are synthesized in the human body.|
|Enzyme Function, Interactions & Regulations||Learn about different types of enzymes and how they act and react in the body. Focus on enzyme activation, coenzymes, and enzyme regulation.|
|Cell Membrane Model, Components & Transport||Discover the ways in which transportation and movement occur across the cell membrane and within the cell.|
|Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions||Explore the major structures of the cell and their respective functions, including the nucleus, ribosomes, and mitochondria. Learn about plant cell structure and cover how viruses form and function.|
|Cellular Metabolism & Respiration||Understand how energy is transferred within cells through respiration, the processes of glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, and photosynthesis, among other topics.|
|Processes & Steps of DNA Replication||Learn about how DNA replicates, including discussions on helices, DNA polymerase, RNA primate, and the role of enzymes in replication.|
|Transcription, Translation & Protein Synthesis||Uncover the process of gene expression through transcription and protein regulation. Learn about the role of amino acids and anticodons.|
|Types & Effects of Genetic Mutations||Learn about different types of mutations that can occur within cells and the genetic code. Cover various diseases that occur as a result of mutation.|
|Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division||Discover the processes of the cell cycle, mitosis, cytokinesis, and meiosis I and II.|
|Cellular Structure & Processes in Bacteria & Protists||Learn about how bacteria is defined, various types of bacteria and their respective structures and functions, and different types of protists.|
|Botany: Life Processes in Plants||Explore the history of botany and learn about different types and structures of plants. Cover the life cycle of plants and how they reproduce.|
|The Musculoskeletal, Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, & Excretory Systems||Learn about the complex systems that govern how multicellular organisms move, breathe, consume and use energy, and get rid of waste.|
|The Nervous System & Endocrine System||Cover the processes of homeostasis and temperature regulation and the role that these play in the proper functioning of the nervous and endocrine systems. Learn about topics like immunity, antibiotics, vaccines, and pathogens.|
|Reproduction, Development & Survival in Animals||Explore the process of reproduction in animals by covering spermatogenesis and oogenesis, as well as pregnancy.|
|Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity||Focus on Mendel's first and second laws, alleles, independent assortment, and dominance. Learn about complementary base pairing and multifactorial traits in human genetics.|
|Ecology Principles & Community Ecology||Cover topics like how food chains work in different ecosystems, the relationship between predator and prey, and symbiotic relationships. Explore how invasive species affect ecosystems and the development of species populations.|
|Evolutionary Principles & Natural Selection||Learn about different theories of evolution, the topic of natural selection, and prezygotic and postzygotic reproduction.|
|Earth's Timeline & Geological Evolution||Gain an understanding of how the earth has evolved throughout history and cover the major eras of the earth's development.|
|Taxonomic Classification & Phylogeny||Discover how living organisms are named and classified according to the rules of taxonomy.|
|Genetic Engineering & DNA Sequencing||Learn about different types of genetic engineering, including the Sanger method, and gain an overview how genetic engineering is used today.|
Learn more about the College Accelerator Plan
Confirm College Accelerator Upgrade?
- Unlimited access to all video lessons
- Lesson Transcripts
- Tech support
- Practice quizzes & tests
- Tools for tracking progress
- Personalized coaching
- Access to instructors
- Certificates of Completion
- Create Custom Courses
- Earn college credit
- Take two exams per month
- Finish official exams remotely
- Learn more
By upgrading now, you will immediately have access to all features associated with your new plan. Because the change is in the middle of your billing cycle, your next charge will include the prorated amount for the rest of this month. For more info check our FAQ's.
What to Expect For the Exam
This www.heiqigong.com course has been evaluated and recommended for college credit. Once you've completed this course, you can take the proctored final exam and potentially earn credit. Follow the steps below to take the exam.
Before taking the exam, all of the following requirements must be met:
|A College Accelerator www.heiqigong.com membership.|
|Completed all lessons in Biology 101: Intro to Biology course and achieved 100% Quiz Progress.|
|Not attempted to take this exam within the last three days.|
|Have available proctored exams in this month of membership.|
|Have not taken this exam three times. (0/3)|
|Complete the exam readiness quiz.|
Please meet all of the pre-requirements in the Pre-Exam Checklist in order to take the exam.
Exam Process Details
1. Register For Exam
Registering for the exam is simple. First, be sure you meet the system requirements. Next, you'll need to agree to the academic integrity policy. Then just confirm your name and the exam name, and you're ready to go!
2. Download Software Secure
You'll receive an unique access code. Please write this down — you'll need it to take the exam. Then download Software Secure and follow the installation instructions.
3. Take Exam
The exam contains 50 - 100 multiple choice questions. You will have two hours to complete the exam, so don't start until you're sure you can complete the entire thing. And remember to pace yourself!
4. Get Exam Results
We will send you an email with your official exam results within 1 to 2 weeks. If you would like to raise your grade after receiving your exam results, you can retake quizzes with fewer than 3 attempts. You will then need to retake the final exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? www.heiqigong.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Biology Colleges and Universities in the U.S.
- Conservation Biology Degree Program and Course Information
- Colleges with Marine Biology Majors and Degree Programs
- Chemical Biology Degree Programs
- Quantitative Biology Degree Programs
- Online Biology College Degree Programs with Degree Level Summaries
- Christian Colleges that Offer Marine Biology
- What Can You Do with a Biology Degree?
- Masters Degree in Biology: Program Overviews
- Human Biology Degree Program Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses