- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 257
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Key Events in the History of Biological Study
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryBefore taking the TExES Life Science 7-12 teacher certification exam, check out the learning tools in this engaging practice course. Use the self-assessment quizzes to see how well you would do on test day, and then review the video and text lessons to reinforce those areas that need more work.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About this Course
The lessons in this course take a look at life science fundamentals and the methods of teaching science to middle- and high-school students. A transcript accompanies every video lesson, giving you useful notes to reference in your offline study time. By taking the chapter test and individual lesson quizzes, you can gauge your readiness for taking the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Life Science 7-12 exam. The topics covered in this course include cell biology and cycle, nucleic acids and enzymes, atomic science, biochemistry, genetics, and plant, animal, and human biology. Lessons take ten minutes or less to review and you can easily track your progress on your Dashboard as you move through this course.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
When you have successfully completed your review of this course, you should have met such objectives as explaining cell functions and structure, discussing genetic concepts, identifying human body systems and listing properties and characteristics of matter. In addition, you should have developed the ability to:
- Provide details about cell communication
- Describe aspects of inorganic chemistry
- Detail the structure and functions of nucleic acids and enzymes
- Discuss process of DNA replication, transcription and translation
- Understand genetic mutations and heredity
- Talk about plant and human reproduction
- Define homeostasis
- Give details about ecosystems and habitats
- Apply instructional and learning strategies in life science classrooms
This course contains 30 individual chapters broken down into 222 video and text lessons. You can access lessons 24/7 from any device, making it possible to fit study time into any busy schedule.
TExES Life Science 7-12 Exam Information
Texas educators must take and pass subject-specific exams in order to teach in their content area. Aspiring life science teachers must take and pass the TExES Life Science 7-12 exam and this course helps to ensure that you fully understand all concepts you will be tested on.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Life Science 7-12 Exam Breakdown
|TExES Life Science 7-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the TExES Life Science 7-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Scientific Inquiry and Processes||15%||15 questions||21|
|Cell Structure and Processes||20%||20 questions||51|
|Heredity and Evolution of Life||20%||20 questions||55|
|Diversity of Life||20%||20 questions||62|
|Interdependence of Life and Environmental Systems||15%||15 questions||19|
|Science Learning, Instruction and Assessment||10%||10 questions||12|
TExES Life Sciences 7-12 Exam Preparation & Registration
This course is designed specifically to prepare aspiring educators to take the life sciences exam. You will have the opportunity to watch entertaining, informative videos with instruction provided by educators with experience in the field. A transcript accompanies each lesson. You will be able to take brief assessments after each lesson and a test at the end of the chapter, all of which contain questions similar to those you will encounter when you take the real test.
The chapters start with basic concepts of scientific exploration. They then build the living world from atoms through cell science to plants, animals, and people. The science portion is closed with a discussion on the ties between biology and environment before the final chapter is presents material on instructing and assessing students of the life sciences.
You will register to take the test via the TExES website, if you haven't done so already. There, you will also find eligibility information and preparation tools that outline exactly what each domain of the test measures. The Life Science 7-12 exam is completed entirely on computers and administered as a single exam.
Scoring TExES Life Science 7-12 Exam
All TExES tests are scored on a scaled system which compares the tester to established standards rather than to other examinees. Your score will be somewhere between 100 and 300, with a score of 240 needed to pass. Incorrect answers do not count against your score, so leave no questions unanswered. You will receive your score from the website where you registered within seven days of the exam, and your score document will also contain an analysis of your performance by domain. The score will automatically be updated on your TEA certification file.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? www.heiqigong.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Should I Become a Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become an Elementary School Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be a Preschool Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Special Education Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be a Kindergarten Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be a Math Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a High School Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be an Art Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses