Online Computer Networking Courses for Credit
Students interested in computer networking can find a variety of free courses available online, but these options generally don't lead to college credit. Students who want to earn credit for the classes might want to look for online options that charge a small fee in exchange for access to online lessons.
www.heiqigong.com offers this style of distance learning through its short, engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes. Students interested in this path to college credit might find this Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications course useful. Some of the chapters in this course include:
- Information Systems in Organizations - Topics include components of information systems, networks and hardware, software and business strategies.
- Network Systems Technology - Learn about telecommunications system components, client/server and mainframe systems, network operating systems and wireless communications.
- Systems Development - Subjects in this chapter include the software development process, graphical user interfaces, sourcing and project management.
- Data Management - Study database elements, purpose of a management system, database management system models and data types.
Free Online Non-Credited Computer Networking Courses
The Computer Technology Documentation Project
The Computer Technology Documentation Project offers free networking tutorials for those interested in learning more about computer networking. The tutorials can be accessed from a Web page and are separated by chapters. However, the tutorials do not lead to college credit.
- CTDP Protocol Summary provides students with a guide of protocols used for network routing, network management and host management.
- Networking Tutorial provides information regarding TCP/IP network protocols, network architectures and other topics. Experience with networks is not needed. Students also are given references for additional information regarding networking.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology allows students access to courses covering a variety of computer-related subjects. While these classes do not lead to credit, real course material is available online for free, including assignments, exams, lecture notes and projects.
- Network and Computer Security provides students with information regarding risk assessment, software protection, computer security and secure operating systems.
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is based in India and provides video lessons that can be streamed, downloaded or viewed on YouTube. NPTEL materials do not lead to college credit.
- Computer Networks consists of 40 videos that cover topics such as network management, satellite communication, routing, wireless networks, cellular networks and network topology.
The Open University
The Open University offers courses that do not lead to credit. Classes are broken down into multiple lessons.
- Network Security is offered through 10 lessons and covers network security, network vulnerabilities, firewalls, authentication, encryption and other subjects.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute provides free non-credit online courses for students in a variety of networking topics. Students can learn from class notes, slides, homework, streaming video and exams.
- Computer Communication Networks helps students learn about routing, internetworking, network layers and other topics.
- Broadband and Optical Networks includes lessons in traffic engineering, optical transport networks and routing.
Teracom Training Institute
Teracom Training Institute specializes in providing free online course previews on telecommunication for students who are not engineers. The site's online tutorials offer free instruction, as well as serve as previews for more extensive courses that are provided for a fee.
- Tutorial: Dynamic IP Addresses and DHCP helps students learn about IP addresses and their uses.
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan offers this free online course with materials available for download.
- Networked Computing: Storage, Communication, and Processing allows students to gain sound knowledge in areas such as data modeling, technologies on the Web, service-oriented architecture and information systems security.
Students can find free courses online through Stanford's OpenEdX platform, which offers a course in computer networking.
- Introduction to Computer Networking provides an entry-level analysis of fundamental concepts in computer networking. Students can learn about how the Internet works as they study modulation, RFCs, protocols and network design.
University of Virginia
The University of Virginia provides a course in computer networking. Audio and text downloads are available for free, as well as corresponding notes and PowerPoint slides.
- Computer Networks offers a comprehensive examination of several topics related to computer networking. Course topics include error detection, Ethernet frames and network applications.
University of Delaware
Through a series of video lectures, the University of Delaware offers a tutorial that teaches students about the basics of computer networking.
- Computer Networking is divided into five chapters, each of which comes with a video lecture. Lecture topics include computer networks, application layers and network layers.