Online Computer Technology Courses for Credit
While free courses in computer technology can be located online, these courses don't furnish students with academic credit. If you're trying to achieve credit for school, you might take a look at the comparatively low-cost content offered by www.heiqigong.com, where registered users can access engaging video lessons and resources such as interactive practice quizzes.
Students looking to learn more about computer technology might be interested in Business 109: Intro to Computing, which includes chapters like:
- Application Software - Learn about word processing software, types of images, software licensing, and related information.
- Data Communications - Compare rational and distributed databases while exploring types of data, database management, and more.
- Programming Methodology - Break down the five basic elements of programming while learning about psuedocode, boolean logic, and related concepts.
Information on Free Online Courses
Most often, any work done by students using OpenCourseWare (OCW) can be done at their own pace and will not be considered for academic credit or graded. Some computer science courses may require advanced proficiency in computer language programming and mathematics, while others don't assume any prior computer-related study.
Some courses even provide resources for extra help, such as tutoring and forums. While many OCW courses supply ample course materials, including video, audio, Web content, slides, notes, music, demos and software, often times certain material and facilities can be unavailable to OCW students. Though not required, students may wish to purchase this material to enhance their learning experience.
University of California, Berkeley
- Computer Science 61A allows students to learn introductory computer science and computer programming techniques. The course material covers data-directed programming and message passing, as well as how to use higher-order functions and a von Neumann machine to create solutions for algorithms.
- Intensive Introduction to Computer Science has a variety of online materials, including lectures, demos, music, notes, slides and quizzes. Lectures last 12 weeks and cover topics like source code, loops, dynamic memory allocation, pointers, queues and HTML. By the end of the course, students learn the critical-thinking and problem-solving skills used in computer technology.
Utah State University
- Learn and Apply HTML aims to teach students how to use HTML to create Web pages and insert graphics. After installing the initial plug-ins, learners use PDF and video content to learn to create a form and publish web pages. Some required materials may not be available online to OCW students. Utah State University also has other courses aimed at teaching computer and Internet basics.
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs is an introductory course in computer science, programming languages and computational system analysis. Through online video lectures, students can self-educate on topics such as compound data, generic operators, computational objects, streams, logic programming and register machines. Other available materials include PDF lecture notes, exams, readings, manuals and an online tutor. MIT offers many other OCW courses that focus on computer technology.